Thursday 31 March 2011

pictures from Haiti

My grandpa recently got back from a short trip to Haiti. He went to volunteer with my dad's cousin who is a doctor. Though it has been more than a year since the devastating 7.0 earthquake shook this country, and people are more focused on other disasters, like that in Japan, not everybody has recovered. The quake left about 1.3 million people homeless and lots of those people still are living in makeshift tents or other temporary  shelters.

Anyway, here are some pictures my grandpa brought back of his trip. I think it's beautiful and sad at the same time; the scenery is pretty until you stop and think about all the terrible things that have happened to this country and its people.

I like the look of the houses on the slope.



And here is a street! I like the houses in the background again and the people walking away. The roads aren't in the best condition, as you can tell.


Here are some human people. I'm not sure entirely what they're doing or where they are. Any guesses?

Here's another street scene.


I've noticed a lot of people carrying things on their heads...Just an observation. What else do I see? Well, I spy a Texaco gas station, a police car and a sign in French.

All pictures belong to my grandpa or whoever took them. Either way, they're not mine. For more information about Haiti, I suggest this website: Haiti, One Year On.

So, that concludes my post. I haven't had the chance to talk to my grandpa about his trip yet so most of what I know is taken from these pictures. Still, a picture is worth a thousand words.....

~KRG

1 comment:

  1. "Here are some human people." WHAT?! I thought they were human cats! :(

    - YOUR LOVE ♥

    (And for Ms. Young, this is EJE)

    ReplyDelete